Facts about Prince Charles, the oldest and longest-serving heir-to-the-British throne, who celebrates his seventieth birthday on November 14.
* Born in Buckingham Palace at 9.14pm on November 14, 1948, Charles is the eldest son of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
* He modified into once the first heir to head to faculty and university, being trained at Gordonstoun college in northern Scotland and Trinity Faculty, Cambridge, where he obtained a 2nd class history level. Charles went on to befriend within the Royal Air Power and the Royal Navy. He righteous as a helicopter pilot.
* His investiture as the Prince of Wales took space on July 1, 1969 at Caernarfon Fortress.
* After leaving the defense power, Charles scheme up the Prince’s Believe in 1976 to befriend deprived younger folks within the United Kingdom, utilizing his Royal Navy severance pay of STG7400 to fund a desire of neighborhood initiatives. It has since helped higher than 870,000 folks into work, education or training.
* He married Diana Spencer at St Paul’s Cathedral on July 29, 1981 with a crowd of upper than 500,000 lining the route between Buckingham Palace and the cathedral. The couple had two sons, William, born in 1982 and Henry, is idea as Harry, born two years later.
* Charles and Diana had been divorced in August 1996 after years of acrimonious marital concerns. Diana blamed Charles for his refusal to close his affair along with his long-interval of time lover, Camilla Parker Bowles. Charles talked about he had remained devoted within the marriage “except it modified into irretrievably broken down”. On August 31, 1997, Diana died in a automobile demolish in Paris.
* Charles and Camilla had been married on April 9, 2005 in a civil ceremony in Windsor. They had been later joined by 800 guests for a service of prayer and dedication at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Fortress sooner than a reception hosted by the queen.
* He modified into the longest-serving heir apparent to the British throne in April 2011. He modified into once three when his mother modified into queen in 1952 and Four at her coronation the next yr.
(Sources: Reuters archives, www.royal.gov.uk)